“This shop is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group® and Dr. Pepper Snapple Group, but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #FlavorforLess http://my-disclosur.es/OBsstV”
You all know I've been on sort of a fitness journey the past few months. It wasn't easy at first, but after about a month, the exercising got much easier. And I actually started enjoying it!! I've had my gym membership for almost 4 months now and I've been very loyal about going at least 4 days a week! *pats myself on the back*
But the healthy eating part? Isn't go as well. I have talked about this before, but guys, it's really tough for me. I'm kind of a carboholic, and I drink soda like it's going out of style. I'm not kidding.
Here's the thing, I just don't like a lot of healthy foods. There, I said it. I guess I know where my kids get it from, huh? ;-) But there is one go-to food that I always start eating in abundance whenever I get on a healthy kick. Salad. Any of kind of salad, really. I could always go for a salad, and it's a much better alternative than the greasy hamburger I generally crave.
Recently, I think I found my very favorite lunch option.
Greek Quinoa Salad, oh my goodness, SO good. I'll be honest, though, when I said that I drink tons of soda, I should carlify that I usually drink regular soda. I'm not a big fan of diet, just isn't sweet enough for me. But, I was delighted to find out that Safeway carries TEN calorie soda's now! They aren't loaded with as much sugar as regular, but they still taste delicious! You can get 10 calorie A&W, Sunkist, Canada Dry, and 7-Up! Now I can get my bubbly soda fix without feeling quite so guilty about it.
I'm a huge fan of the A&W TEN. To me, it literally tastes no different that your standard A&W, so score with only 10 calories! And currently, if you visit the Just For U website, you can get a coupon for a free 2 Liter of any flavor of the TEN calorie products.
And because there's no way I could post a picture of this salad without sharing the recipe, I've included it for you so you can make it yourself!
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Garlic clove (smashed and finely chopped to a paste)
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 2 cups Red Grape tomatoes (halved)
- 1/2 of a Cucumber (diced)
- 1 small Red Onion
- Feta Cheese (for sprinkling)
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- In a small bowl, wisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, oregano, garlic and some salt & pepper. Slowly add in the oil until emulsified. Let it sit at room temperature while you prepare your salad.
- Rinse your Quinoa in cold water. Combine Quinoa and 2 cups of water in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cover. Cook until all the water is absorbed. It usually takes about 15 minutes.
While your Quinoa is cooking, chop your tomatoes, cucumbers, onions (and olives).
- Transfer Quinoa to a bowl and fluff with a fork. Let it sit for a few minutes to cool. Then add your chopped veggies.
- Next add your dressing and mix thoroughly.
I recommend putting it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour to cool it down.
- Lastly, add your feta before serving!