So because I am a clothing subscription box junkie, when I was introduced to a service called Golden Tote, I was absolutely intrigued. So yes, it is a clothing service, and yes it's similar to Stitch Fix. BUT, there are also plenty of differences! But before I dive into that, first let me tell you a little about the company!
Golden Tote was started by clothing designers and personal stylists, Sarah Sweeney And Sarah Becker. In 2003, they launched a clothing line called Puella (sold at stores like Anthropologie). At one of the Puella sales events, they offered surprise grab bags with several items of clothing at 80% off. And because people loved it so much, Golden Tote was born!
|*I received this tote in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own.|
Small Tote | $49
- 2-3 pieces of clothing
- You choose one piece from the boutique
- Golden Tote stylists surprise you with the rest!
Large Tote | $149
- 5-6 pieces of clothing
- You choose two pieces from the boutique
- Golden Tote Stylists surprise you with the rest!
- All items you will find in your tote are 50% off retail price. So it ends up being roughly $26 per item. My thoughts? That's a screamin' deal! This is where there is a huge difference between Stitch Fix and Golden Tote. Stitch Fix, you are always paying full MSRP on all of the clothing pieces.
- Golden Tote is an ALL or NOTHING deal. You either keep it all, or you send it all back. I actually understand why this is the case, especially since you are getting such a great deal for all of the items. However, I could see why it would also be frustrating if you only like a few items in your tote. Or if not everything fits right.
But the good news is, Golden Tote has a Facebook group set up for subscribers to go and discuss their totes, as well as make trades if they want. So, that part is pretty cool, and I think it could be fun as well.
1) My Pick #1 - Daydreamer Believer Dress
Okay so when I saw this in their boutique, I instantly fell in love. Like, I knew I had to have it. The thing is, I'm a size medium in almost everything. So naturally, I ordered a medium. However, when I tried it on, it was definitely too big. I can't express to you how extremely bummed I am about it. I could EASILY have fit into a small, and in that case, I would have been over the moon about this dress. Because the dress itself?? It's awesome and gets a huge gold star. But, unfortunately, given how big this dress is on me, I don't think I will ever wear it.
2) My pick 2 - Relaxed Tassel TopThis was another item I chose. It looked so so so cute on the model on the website, but when I tried it on? Not so much. I felt like it was too small, maybe? Or maybe I just don't have the right figure for it. So, I'm a little disappointed. Not in the shirt necessarily, or in the stylist, but in my own judgement. I wish I would have chosen something else.
3) Surprise item #1
This isn't really something I would have picked out for myself. But I actually kinda like it when it's on! The detailing around the bottom is very pretty!! The color white scares me a little, I'm a sloppy eater, and you know, two small boys. lol. But overall, I think this is really pretty!
4) Surprise item #2 -
Well well well. This was a nice surprise! This dress is so pretty, but a little long for me. That's to be expected, though. It's super hard to find things that are the right length for me!
5) Surprise item #3 -
Hello beautiful, feminine, floral tank!! I adore this. I tried it on with my white pants and I feel like they go together fabulously. This top would also look great with dark denim, too. Well done, Golden Tote, well done!! :-)
6) Surprise item #4.
When I pulled this out of the tote, I was a little bit underwhelmed with it. Definitely not something I would pick out myself. But I'm always willing to give things a fair shot, so when I tried it on, I realized I liked it a little bit more than I thought. But ultimately, if I had the chance, I would send this back.
Okay so as you can see, I received six items in the large Golden Tote. If you break it down, that's about $25 per item. Assuming I loved all of these items, I'd say that's pretty dang good, price-wise. But since this is an all or nothin' deal, I would have to decide whether to keep it all, or send it all back. Waaaaaa. Honestly that's a tough decision to make. The good news, is that if I decided to keep everything, despite not loving everything in my tote -- Golden Tote has a Facebook group where subscribers can go and sell and/or trade items. So, with that in mind, I would probably keep this tote.
I think overall, this is a really great service if you are looking for clothing on a budget. I mean $25/item is pretty affordable. And the clothing is really cute and well made, in my opinion. Plus, I'm sure you all love surprises, yes?? Plus, I think it's really cool that you get to choose some of the items you receive in your tote!
Really, the only downside is that you cannot pick and choose what you keep. You keep it all, or you don't.
Interested in trying out Golden Tote for yourself?? Hop over to their website and get started! :)