easton's birth

Wow. Let me just say that my labor/delivery experience with Easton was SO much different than with Bennett. It was like night and day. It was a much faster, quicker delivery.... which made me both scared and extremely happy!!

Here's how the day went down:

Thursday, March 29th
  • 12:00PM - I was getting in the shower & noticed that I had lost my mucus plug. I figured that it meant that labor was getting close. But since it was still a bit early, I assumed that I still had a few days at least! I tried not to read too much into it.
  • 7:00PM - Some awesome ladies from my church threw kind of a last minute combined baby shower for me and a few other expectant mothers in our church. The decorations were adorable, and the food and treats were yummy!

    At about 8:30PM, I was sitting at the table just chit-chatting with everyone when I felt a little bit of fluid trickle out of you-know-where. Hmm... at this point I wasn't sure if I had just peed a little or what. I knew that it very well could have been my water breaking, since that exact thing happened with Bennett. Since I was surrounded by people, I didn't want to make a big spectacle and to be honest, I was in a little bit of denial - and so - I just sat there for about another 10 minutes talking and laughing. Pretty soon, I knew that I would have to get up eventually and just let whatever was going to happen, happen. So....
  • 8:45PM - I stood up from the table at my baby shower and POP. My water broke everywhere!!! I stood there in shock for a little while, not really sure how to tell everyone that I was leaking amniotic fluid all over the floor. So I just kind of mumbled it to my friend sitting next to me and of course this was her reaction: "Oh my gosh!! Are you serious?! Everyone!! Mandy's water just broke!" Within seconds everyone was standing around me asking what they could do and how they could help! I suddenly got so emotional, I just stood there and started crying. Partly because I was embarrassed (not that I should have been, we were all Mothers!), but mostly because I realized that I was going to be HAVING A BABY in the next day or two. I pretty much had a meltdown in the middle of Marisa's kitchen. Once I got it together, Janea and a few others helped me get my stuff together and got me to my car.

    *I just want to make sure I say how grateful I am to all of the amazing ladies at church. They were are so supportive and wonderful. Couldn't have been with a better group of people at the time.

  • 9:00PM - Contractions start. They are mild, but definitely consistent.
  • 9:15PM - Arrive at home & tell Philip what had happened. We immediately called my sister & brother-in-law to see if they could come and stay with Bennett. We had to get to the hospital pretty quickly because I needed to get the antibiotics for the Group B Strep that I had tested positive for. You are supposed to get them 4 hours prior to delivery. And even though I kind of assumed that my labor would be a lot longer than 4 hours, my OB told me to go straight in if my water breaks. Philip and I went upstairs, finished packing up our hospital bags and I had another break down.

    At this point, I was so emotional. I was just in disbelief. I mean, I knew that I was getting close to my due date but when it all started happening - I just freaked out. I was worried about what labor would be like this time and how I would handle it. I was already starting to miss Bennett, knowing that I wouldn't see him much for the next few days. And I was excited that I was going to meet my new little man so soon!!

    My sister and brother-in-law showed up around 9:30 (luckily they live only a mile away). We gave them a quick run down on what was happening with Bennett's schedule and then we left for the hospital.
  • 9:45PM - Left for the hospital. 
  • 10:30PM - Arrived at the hospital. We got all checked in, the nurses start monitoring the contractions. They were coming every 3-4 minutes and were lasting about 60 seconds each.

  • 11:30PM - I'm 4cm dilated.
  • 11:45PM - Contractions are getting WORSE! They are feeling pretty dang intense at this point. Decided to get the epidural. Felt it slightly. If you remember in Bennett's birth story - I got the epidural and it failed. It pretty much did the same thing this time. I had a tiny bit of relief but for the most part, I still felt everything pretty strongly.
(from here on out.... the story goes quickly!!)

  • 12:00AM - My mom arrives.

    By midnight, I was feeling quite a bit of pain still, but luckily the epidural took the edge off a little bit. I could have a normal conversation in between contractions. I could tell that they were getting stronger and closer together. My labor seemed to be progressing very fast!! This was good news because it meant that the baby was NOT posterior anymore!! Posterior babies have a pretty hard time progressing and dropping so we were fairly confident that he was facing the right direction!! Halleluiah!
  • 1:00AM - I started getting shaky and getting cold sweats. I knew exactly what this meant. TRANSITION! If I was feeling transition, that means I was getting pretty close. 
  • Somewhere in this time - my doctor was paged to come in.
  • 1:30AM - Nurse checked me and I'm 8-9cm dilated!! Holy crap this was happening SO fast. I really could not believe it. I hurried and called/texted my sister and best friend to tell them that baby boy would be here ANY time and to hurry and get to the hospital.
  • 1:45AM - At this point I was feeling a LOT of pressure. I could literally feel the baby's head in my birth canal. Seriously, it was creepy/exciting/overwhelming. My doctor hadn't shown up yet and I REALLY wanted her to deliver my baby. It was the same OB that delivered Bennett. She has been with me through it all and I didn't want some random on call doctor coming and delivering my little boy.

    So what did I do?? I rolled to my side and squeezed my legs together. I started mumbling something along the lines of "No, I'm not ready yet. I don't want to have this baby right now!" The nurses and my Mom and Philip had to keep reminding me that there was nothing I could do to stop it. This baby was pretty much almost out already. 
  • 1:55AM - we got word that my OB was in the building and on her way up! I pretty much knew that when she got there I would immediately start pushing. That is exactly what happened.

    My OB showed up right around 2:00AM, scrubbed up real quick and told me that this baby would probably be born any minute.

    I got in position and gave a good push. Immediately, with the first push, you could see a couple inches of his head emerging. I pushed again with the next contraction and he came out a little more. I'm not gonna lie - with an epidural that was barely there, I could FEEL what they call "the ring of fire". I felt it with Bennett, too... but I totally forgot how much it hurts!! Ouch.

    The next set of contractions came and my OB told me to basically just push with everything I had and my little boy would be here!! So that's exactly what I did. I pushed as hard as I could and his head came out. She promptly told me to stop pushing and to wait for a minute. The umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck so she needed to unwind it before I got him out the rest of the way. Seriously, the anticipation was killing me!!
  • 2:09AM - With one more push, my baby boy has arrived!!! 8.12lbs - 21"

  • And just like that-- there he was. It was truly incredible. I feel so incredibly blessed to have had an experience like this. Yes, maybe my epidural didn't work as I had hoped, but seriously. I'm not complaining!! I had a 5 hour birth and only had to push a few times and viola!!!!--I meet my little guy. It was absolutely amazing... I don't even have the words to describe what an awesome experience this was. Of course, Bennett's birth was awesome also, but it was also very traumatizing and overwhelmingly stressful. It was a totally different experience. I guess it's true what they say...your 2nd child really does come easier. And for that, I am so thankful!

    So here are some pictures my Mom took while she was there. I'm so happy she was there with me to experience this, and to help me document it.

    Shortly after he was born, my sister and best friend Kiara walked in. They pretty much got there RIGHT when my doctor handed him to me. I wish they would have come just 10 minutes sooner to see his birth but since things progressed so fast... they couldn't get there in time. But I'm so happy they were there to see the freshness of my little newborn! It was comforting to have loved ones in the room.

    I managed to get away with a few small tears. One needed a few stitches and the others were small enough that they didn't need any. Thank goodness!! After my OB got me all stitched up and taken care of, we asked my family and friend to give us just a few minutes as a family so that we could name our new little bundle of joy!

    As we stared at him, 2 names came to mind. One that my Husband really favored, and one that I really liked. Looking back, I think I would have been happy whichever name we chose but at the time - I really felt strongly that Easton was his name. And Michael would be his middle name. And that was that. (re: the story behind his name)

    Overall, this birth experience was SO much easier, physically, than the first time. Both special in their own ways, though.

    LATER that day after pretty much no sleep, Bennett came to visit us and his little brother! He was genuinely interested in him... he sort of just poked at him, but also gave him some kisses and hugs. He hung out with us for quite a while... it was so nice having the 4 of us there together for the first time! 

    Newborn Photo:
    Easton Michael

    Born March 30, 2012 @2:09am
    Weighing in at 8lbs 12oz - 21" tall


    Anonymous said...

    I was brought to your blog from pintrest with the cute ornament you made with the baby's first handprint! We too have two little guys about hte same ages as yours. What a cute blog and amazing pictures on such a special day! I'm curious who took the photos for you (professional?) and also if not pro what camera? My pics never come out that amazing!


    Anonymous said...

    oops didn't put my contact info for the camera info i asked about... fourpinkpuppies at yahoo . com


    Bethany K said...

    I am so glad you posted this!! I love birth stories. I have about 7.5 weeks left with my first... I hadn't heard about "transition". I'm going to read your other birth story now... :)